Tuesday, July 9, 2024

The Original Pantry Cafe, 1978

1978, The Original Pantry Cafe at night, seen from the parking lot across 9th Street. (William Reagh Collection).  https://buff.ly/45UlNzO.  Thanks to LAPL. Located at the northwest corner of Figueroa and 9th [or James Woods Blvd.].

I really enjoyed stopping here before heading into work at the UPS Olympic hub on Olympic at 1100 Olympic.  Funny that working in and around Downtown made me feel close to dad, like I was working in his vicinity 1st & Grand/1st & Hill St.  I drove for UPS there from 1983-1986.  While I was a loader at the Baldwin Park warehouse, earning $9/hour, I dreamed of driving for UPS making $13 to start.  The economy afforded such optimism back then.  I
One BP loader asked me if I'd consider marrying his sister.  Interesting offer.  That was the second time someone had asked that of me.  The first guy was a coworker at Colamco in San Dimas who lived in an apartment on Azusa Avenue in Azusa just north of Arrow Hwy.

The first time I'd eaten at the Pantry was with Al and others, maybe Hector and Ernie, can't recall who else was with us, back in the early 80s, maybe 1981.


No comments:

Post a Comment