Monday, July 1, 2024

"I've Seen All Good People," Yes, 1971

Few songs capture the beauty of my age, the 1970s, than this Yes song, "I've Seen All Good People," 1971.  Funny what you can learn about a song.  
"Your Move", was released as a single in 1971 which peaked at number 40 in the US, which helped the group build momentum. The second part is entitled "All Good People".

Wikipedia explains further that, 

The first part of the song, "Your Move", alludes to the game of chess as a metaphor for male–female relationships. Examples include the phrases "move me onto any black square", "make the white queen run so fast", and "the goal is for us all to capture only one".

Wikipedia has completely missed the boat.  The song is not about chess moves; that's used only metaphorically or allegorically.   

I've seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way I've seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way Take a straight and stronger course to the corner of your life Make the white queen run so fast she hasn't got time to make you a wife

This latter phrase instructs people where to find their best creative selves. "The corner of your life" refers to the precious things you value, love, and hold dear that anchor your life and your character. "Take a stronger course to that corner of your life." Don't forget or give up on who you are; don't change your identity for anyone who you think has more power, money, beauty, or influence than you; don't change for any job, or for any organization. About the queen, if it refers to the white queen in chess, the line makes no sense. But if it refers to the white queen of winter, like the queen in Alice in Wonderland 'Cause it's time is time in time with your time and It's news is captured... for the queen to use! Move me on to any black square Use me anytime you want Just remember that the goal Is for us all to capture all we want (Move me on to any black square) Don't surround yourself with yourself Move on back two squares Send an instant comment to me Initial it with loving care (Don't surround yourself) 'Cause it's time is time in time with your time and It's news is captured... for the queen to use! Diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit didda Diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit didda (Don't surround yourself with yourself) Don't surround yourself with yourself (Don't surround yourself) Move on back two squares Send an instant comment to me (Send an instant comment to me) Initial it with loving care (Don't surround yourself) 'Cause it's time is time in time with your time and It's news is captured... for the queen to use! Diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit didda (All we are saying) Diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit didda (Is give peace a chance) Diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit didda (All we are saying) Diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit diddit didda (Is give peace a chance) 'Cause it's time is time in time with your time and It's news is captured... I've seen all good people turn their heads each day So satisfied I'm on my way I've seen all good people turn their heads each day So satisfied I'm on my way... Album: The Yes Album

No comments:

Post a Comment