Sunday, September 15, 2024

Santa Monica Beach, LA Times, & the Preakness Winner, Bold Venture, 1936


Thank you to Forgotten Los Angeles, August 27, 2024.

I think it’s pretty well established now that if I ever see a newspaper in a historical photo, then I’m immediately gonna go try to find it.
Here, we have three undated photographs (Slides 1, 6, and taken in Santa Monica and Downtown Los Angeles by the great Alfred Eisenstaedt.
In the first photo, we see an unknown woman reading on the Santa Monica beach, and searching the text from the back page in her hand, I was able to put together that she’s reading the Sunday edition of the Los Angeles Times on May 17, 1936.
In Slide 2, we have the front page of that paper, and it looks to me as if she’s reading the story about the amusement park fire in Detroit.
Slides 3 gives us a closer look at the backside of that paper, while 4 &5 show the two pages visible in the shot.

Slides 6-7 show the same woman looking off, with a crossword puzzle to her right that my wife and I have printed out and are planning to try to solve.
In Slide 8, we see a newspaper salesman across the street from Foreman & Clark at 7th & Hill, selling a May 10, 1936 edition of the Times, with 16 color pages of comics. I’ve added the visible section of the Tarzan strip into Slide 10.

Photos via LIFE Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment