Sunday, November 24, 2019

Rembrandt & Klimt


One of the great pleasures I had while attending UCI was that Catherine used to work at a Chato's Framing Gallery on Walnut Avenue in Pasadena, one block north of Pasadena City College where we both had attended school.  Catherine learned a lot about framing and a lot about different artists.  I learned by extension.  Catherine brought a framed Rembrandt, the one you see above, titled "The Young Woman at Open Half Door," 1645.  But I'd always loved this print.  In fact, I bought one to put up in the classrooms at the different schools that I taught at.  Another artist that I liked was, of course, Gustav Klimt.  His "Kiss" is famous but there were others of his work that I loved titled "Sonja Knips 1898."
Catherine framed it up in her shop in Santa Cruz.  She drove from Santa Cruz to San Luis Obispo, and I drove from LA to San Luis Obispo where I got the beautifully framed print from her.  My mom absolutely loved the print but more so the spectacular frame that Catherine selected and bought.  

No comments:

Post a Comment