Thursday, November 21, 2019

Requiem Pie Jesu by Gabriel Faure

The beauty in this piece comes as close to holiness as is humanly possible.  Just stunning.  The title "Requiem Pie Jesu" translates "Give them rest Holy Jesus."  It's a short Catholic Latin mass for the dead.  It's beautiful.  And the piece is often contrasted to the famous "Dies Irae" or "God's Wrath."  I guess that is what happens in death, right, either the soul is treated to eternal rest without condemnation from the living, as in Requiescat in Pace, or the soul is treated to cursing, anger, and wrath, as in "Dies Irae."  It makes sense that peace should prevail after the passing of a loved one regardless of how angry we are.  I heard the piece tonight on the Colorado Public Radio station in Denver, 88.1.  It played at 5:48pm.  You can find it on their playlist.  The vocal for the piece I heard tonight was Sylvia McNair, and her performance of it was stunning.  But when I searched the piece on YouTube, I found this one first without searching for Sylvia McNair.  And I am glad I did, for I much prefer this version presented here:   

 

No wonder that it is God, the saints, and every holy act and word that retrieves civilization, as well as the individual, from the brink. 

No comments:

Post a Comment