Saturday, June 29, 2024

St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Central Park [aka, Pershing Square], 1913


1913, In this beautifully crisp photo, we’re looking southeast across downtown Los Angeles past St. Paul's Episcopal Church, which is the one with the pointy tower. Past it, that expanse of trees is what we now know as Pershing Square. This photo is from 1913, so it was then still known as Central Park. But the detail that catches my eye is that pale building down in front – the “Young Women’s Boarding Home” which I had never heard of before. It stood at 514 S. Grand Ave, and was run by the Salvation Army, and was torn down to make way for L.A.'s Biltmore Hotel, which opened in 1923. It looks to be quite a large place and has me wondering if it housed any young and independent women who eventually made it into the flickers. I have a second photo taken that day on my website:  https://wp.me/p5XK3w-7yn Thanks to Martin Turnbull.  




No comments:

Post a Comment