Thursday, November 24, 2011

Baseball-Loving Walgenbachs


Dad, Mike Larkin, and Mike Walgenbach.  The photo reads 1967.  That means that Dad was 53 here; I was 10, and Mike was 2.  What a great picture!  I loved that shirt.  I took my 5th-grade picture in that shirt.  Dad was in remarkable shape for 53.  I'm 54 now and I wish I had his physique.  This photo was taken in the backyard of our Duarte house on Elda Street.  Notice that the house does not have the patio that Joe built.

On November 25, 2011, Mike Larkin writes,  
What's funny is that as young as I was I can still recall so much of the action that took place during those days. And it was thing but action! Climbing into your Dad's station wagon through the lift gate--watching him lift cases of LifeSavers from the garage as he placed them carefully in the trunk of the VW. The pic with Tom on Camelia Street was cool and both Kev and I wearing a candy necklace [see photo below]. You guys would take us around the corner to the liquor store for penny candy and we thought you guys were such big lads back then.

I loved Wes Parker, too.  He was the 1st baseman after Ron Fairly and Chuck Connors.  Wes Parker hit for the cycle in 1970, the only Dodger since Gil Hodges in '49 to hit for the cycle until Orlando Hudson did it in 2009.  Parker's record stood for nearly 40 years.  By the way, that picture is not from a baseball card.  It is a photo of Wes Parker that I purchased from one of the blue souvenir booths at Dodgers Stadium year in '71 or '72.

 I loved Willie Davis.  Listened intently to Vin Scully on KFI to learn whether Willie extended his hitting streak of 31 games. I did not know that he attended Roosevelt High School in Boyle Heights and was inducted to that school's Hall of Fame.  Here is a videotaped interview of his career.  


In keeping with the baseball theme, here is a foul ball that I caught at the Dodgers v. Cubs game that I attended with my dad.  You can see the date, April 9, 1984, with a decorative cloud around it and Dodger Stadium, scrolled in Dad's signature bold letters.  Dad and I were in the 2nd Level, the Loge Level, or the balcony seats.  The day after I caught this, Dad got a hold of it and scrolled on the ball without my permission what you see there in the picture.  At the time, I was furious that he wrote on my pristine MLB baseball.  How could he write on it--he was writing on everything!  Boy, am I glad now that he wrote on it then. 


It is wonderful!!  Oh, by the way, the foul ball that I caught came off of Cubs catcher, Jody Davis.  As it turned out, that was the last Dodger game that I would attend with my Dad.  His knees hurt him terribly in those days and it made walking difficult.  We left the game during the 4th inning.  

Joe showing off his watch.  I think it was a Timex.  The year?  April 1970.  Thanks to Polaroid who used to print the date on the backside.  Dad wrote characteristically on this photo as well: JOE 1970.  


The Lowndes Grove Plantation right on the Ashley River near Charleston, South Carolina.  Could there be a more elegant setting for a wedding?  That is Kevin Larkin for you--nothing but the best.  I had a terrific time.  It was thanks to Mike Larkin that I even went to Kevin's wedding.  I think he paid my way.  Yikes!  I owe the guy.  This was 1997.  If you zoom in on the picture you should be able to see Mike Larkin walking behind his Aunt Judy, who is a remarkable woman.  She was a teacher, is adventurous, she's swum with manatees, and has loved the country singer Nanci Griffith; in fact, she sent me a cassette with Griffith's songs along with a small collection of Neil Diamond's.  It was such a beautiful gift.  What a sweet soul, Judy.  Below is a picture of the cassette case that Judy sent me.  It reads, "Enjoyed meeting you.  And it was a fun trip to Ft. Sumter.  Sincerely, Judy" and then her old address.
Big Mike Larkin, circa 1966.

Kevin Larkin at the left devising a way to get the beaded candy off the string faster.  Mike Walgenbach in his Keds, and Jon . . . .  This photo was taken in September 1970 at Charlen and John's previous home on Camelia in North Hollywood, CA.  

No comments:

Post a Comment