Monday, August 15, 2016

Nora Pfaffle & Tallyrand, Burbank

Nora Pfaffle & Tallyrand, Burbank

Nora was a lifesaver for me growing up.  With her I was able to observe a functioning independent woman.  She owned a home. She had worked.  She was responsible.  She kept a budget.  She looked after things.  And she maintained an intellectual life at a minimum through her subscription to Audubon, Sunset magazine, Reader's Digest, Saturday Evening Post, other magazines, and books I am sure.  

She had Faberge Eggs on her living-room mantel.   


She had an aging Baldwin wall piano at the center of her living room against the wall that separated her living room from her kitchen. Like this but aged white:


Yes, it was old, but it provided us with enough entertainment, instruction, and something to master if we chose.  It also gave us something to think about, something to talk to Nora about.  She was a great communicator, she was.  She actually enjoyed answering my questions.  And she loved eating out. We ate out at Bob's Big Boy, of course, but we also ate at Tallyrand (pictured below) and Vern's, which is no longer around.  


Seems like the best we can hope for these days in terms of memories of the local past is a picture of an empty book of matches; that, or a postcard.  

I shot the photos of Tallyrand with my phone.  I don't like the pictures that come from my phone, but when it comes to "all I've got at the moment," then I guess I can live with it.  I have to train myself to keep my Nikon with me.  

Even sadder than my poor pictures of the place is the fact that I cannot find any pictures of its interior.  It was the interior that really set this place off from every place else.  It had midcentury cartoon art painted directly onto the walls, pictures of Tallyrand (named for Talleyrand perhaps), and a fox hunt.








Huell Howser will forever be a household name for all of the destinations in and around Los Angeles and up and down the golden state of California. He was the tour guide for so many during the 1980s and 1990s, showing us places we'd never heard of and never thought of ever visiting.


[my own personal note to center this and other videos.  Simply copy and paste this code in front of the YT html code: <div align="center">]

2 comments:

  1. Nora did provide interesting memories for many of the Walgenbach Family ! Have you been to the Tallyrand Rest.. lately? The menu looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there in December. Had a bacon/cheese omlette. Good though not special. I went hoping to see and photograph the midcentury cartoons of a fox hunt painted on its walls. Cartoons are gone. Replaced with framed paintings. It's too bad.

    ReplyDelete