Saturday, November 8, 2014

LIONEL BARRYMORE
Lionel Barrymore, 1878-1954, was one of my favorite actors.  He had versatility.  He had a great voice that could dominate a scene. Though I have always loved him as the inimitably avaricious, Mr. Potter, in "It's a Wonderful Life," 1947, I really enjoyed him in "You Can't Take It With You."  I love the activity in the household.  It was busy and reminded me of the Walgenbachs growing up.  Every time I think of "It's a Wonderful Life," I think of my mother's house on Elda, where a nativity set would be lit and adorned with a few Christmas tree boughs.  A silver star would occasionally be set atop the manger.  My mom loved Christmas--the music, the holiness, the quiet reflection between herself, her mom and dad, and God.  The following is one of my favorite scenes from You Can't Take It With You, 1938.  The movie stars Jean Arthur and Jimmy Stewart.  We all know Jimmy Stewart and his various roles.  But I have not tracked Arthur's career as closely.  She seems to take roles of a deferential wife, a vulnerable woman who wants the things belonging to a woman--wife, mother, children--with flashes of genius that persuade her love interests to commit to her.  Her voice is a fragile one that somehow has authority over men in crisis and having a difficult time with critical decisions that places dignity on the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment