Sunday, November 30, 2014

EDWARDS DRIVE-IN THEATER, ARCADIA, CA



Not even sure that this is the drive-in at Live Oak and Peck in southern Arcadia.  I believe it is. 


Well, that was my first take upon seeing this photo.  I mean the sign obviously looked familiar, but the background was no help.  Meaning the context was missing.  And the double bill of the Boy with Green Hair and That Wonderful Urge were released in 1948, a full 9 years before I was even a glimpse in my daddio's eye.  But that absolutely is the theater that my fantastic father took us to.  See here for further comment on that.  

Movies that I saw here were Disney's Swiss Family Robinson, 1960, so clearly I was a 3-year-old child.  The theater must have shown it years later because I knew of the film, meaning I was much older when I'd seen it here at the Edwards. Probably 1967.  And on another sleepy night, I recall watching the 1955 Disney animated film, The Lady and the Tramp  Was not impressed.  But do recall something special about the visuals. Clearly, Disney used to do show reruns frequently.  

I do recall the invigorating aroma of dairy cows nearby, across the street, I think, which was either a Driftwood Dairy or an Alta-Dena Dairy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment