Saturday, July 24, 2021

First Holy Communion at Immaculate Conception School, 1963

This is my 1963, First Holy Communion picture at Immaculate Conception School.  I am in the second row, 7th from the left of the row of boys.  I've got both my hands on my prayer book covering my face and my joy at the group photo and probably giddy at the thought of completing the procedures leading up to the big event.  I recall the preparation work and how the nuns during the rehearsal made it a big to-do.  

A printer explains what the First Communion is:

First Communion is considered one of the holiest and most important occasions in a Roman Catholic's life. It means that person has received the Sacrament of the Eucharist, the body and blood of Jesus Christ. Most Catholic children receive their First Communion when they're 7 or 8 years of age because this is considered the age of reason. Others can receive communion for the first time whenever they've met all the Church's requirements. 

In order for anyone to receive communion, that person must be without sin and in a state of grace. Traditionally, young Catholic children will make their first confession or the Sacrament of Penance, a week before receiving their First Communion. At confession, the child will detail sins and misdeeds to a priest and receive a penance in exchange. The penance is usually several prayers to be recited immediately upon exiting the confessional. Once the child is absolved of sin, he's ready to make his First Communion.

I feel lucky to have found this picture.  I owned a hard copy of it for years stored indifferently in the hallway cabinet at Mom's for years but never secured it or cared for it properly.  I took that picture for granted and assumed that others would treasure it as much as I did.  Live and learn.  

Kevin Moore is in the picture.  He's the blond kid standing at Monsignor Dee's left.  The Rahab twin brothers are here, too, but these are names probably you're unfamiliar with.  IC was such the center of our lives back then.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I recognize that smile anywhere - that's my brother Michael!! Wow, that is an amazing find ! It looks more like a 1st Holy Communion picture from the attire and the fact there is no "Nun" in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cool Mike and you look adorable!! Congrats on the find! When are you coming back to LA for a stay?

    ReplyDelete