Monday, March 4, 2019

The Ghost & Mrs. Muir, 1968-1970

I loved this show growing up, mostly because of Hope Lange, who reminded me, of course, of Petula Clark, whom I adored.  And given the fact that the show only ran for two years, 1968-1970, it must have gotten panned by the critics.  But looking back on it now, or rather watching an episode of it today, I thought that the dialogue was sharp and taut.  Extended metaphors were terrific.  Lots of literary allusions.  It was wonderful.  From a literary or aesthetic standpoint, it was quite good.  You're not going to find anything this thoughtful today. Little did I know then that the TV series was based on a 1947 movie of the same title, starring Gene Tierney, Rex Harrison, and George Sanders.  George Sanders was one of my favorite seasoned actors growing up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment